This description is being done in 2012, 6 years after this project was alledgedly made. I *think* it was done in 2006, but not 100%. Eh .. ::shrug::
I really like the look of Cathedral Window quilts. But hand-stitching them takes so doggone line. I experimented with machine stitching them and ended up a small quilt.
I used a machine blanket stitch to top-stitch the oval segments down. Straight stitching would have probably been faster but might not have looked as nice.
As I remember, it was an interesting experiment and it came out nicely. I might do it again, should I want to do another Cathedral Window. But, I don't at this time. I have so many other tops to quilt and projects to make that I rather doubt I'll do a bigger one of these.
In late summer of 2012, there were some truly horrific wild fires across the western states. One of my quilting buddies was only 30 miles away from the wildfire in Washington state. Many, many homes were utterly destroyed, although, thankfully, no lives were lost. Still, I can't imagine the devastation of losing not only the contents of your home but the building itself.
My friend is one of the coordinators to make comfort quilts for the families involved. She has asked for 12" (finished) quilt blocks, either orphans that one might have laying about or a specific house block for which the pattern was provided. While I didn't make any blocks for the effort, I did dig around my quilt stash and came up with 8 quilts that I had made over the years but wasn't particularly emotionally attached to.
These weren't shoddy quilts .. they had been carefully made, quilted and bound ... but they might have been experiments or a class or turned out to be a size that wasn't terribly useful *to me*. But they all were perfectly good, useable quilts, especially for kids.
This quilt, the machine-stitched Cathedral Window, is one of the quilts that I sent to help with the Taylor Bridge fire effort. It's the perfect size for an infant or toddler.